Sunday, December 8, 2013

White Snow to White Sand

Guess what?!?!?!

I'm out of here! I am leaving Iowa the day after Christmas for the months of January and February and can't wait to get out this miserable cold weather! I'm going to stay with my boyfriend who currently lives and works on a tiny (basically deserted) island in the middle of the ocean. Rough right? Well here is a picture from my front door step today...




And here is a picture my boyfriend sent me of the view he has to deal with...


Any sane person would clearly prefer the 2nd picture, the white sand and beautiful blue waters over Iowa's dead trees and freezing cold snow and ice. 

So what the hell is this place called and where exactly is it you ask?

Kwajalein Atoll. Ever heard of it? Me neither. It is part of the Marshall Islands and to put into perspective it's about halfway between Australia and Hawaii and just 9 degrees north of the equator. The island Kwajalein is 3 miles long by barely 3/4 mile wide. The population is around 1,000. Small right? WELL if you think that's small the island Greg (my boyfriend) is on and where I am going is 50 miles North of that island and is called Roi-Namur. Roi (for short) is just 2 miles long and 1/2 mile wide. Population here is 100. Now that makes Kwajalein look big huh? To put it in Midwest Iowa farmer terms basically that's a well off acreage around here. TINY! 

Here is a picture from the plane that Greg took of the islands....



Here is a map to show you how far across the world my other half is from me..


And here is the breakdown of the Kwajalein Atoll islands....


It's crazy isn't it?

Well if you know either of Greg and I, It really isn't. This adventure of tiny island living and long distance madness couldn't be more perfect for two people like us. We are both crazy, spontaneous, outgoing, always up for a new adventure type people. Our love story in itself and the how we met story is a crazy story and will be a whole new blog in itself, so stay tuned for that one! <3 You really do find it when you're not looking. So here's to the next 17 days and hoping they fly by so I can see my honey, I miss him beyond words! Just look how cute we are....

**DONT FORGET TO CLICK READ MORE, THIS BLOG STILL CONTINUES**


What am I going to do over there?

Nothing. Ha just kidding. I'm going to finally have my man back so I'll be doing that (sorry Dad) just kidding, but really lol. This will be a big adjustment though from going from working M-F 8-5 every day to not working for the next 2 months. Also keep in mind this isn't the states you can't just go to the store, or to the bar, or drive for that matter...the way of transportation is bicycle on the island. There really isn't alot to do, and that might make some people go crazy. Me, I'll be fine. I shipped over some of my art supplies and recently bought a really nice camera and accessories so plan on being pretty artistic while over there and taking some beautiful ocean/sunrise/sunset photos. Do some snorkeling and if Greg can convince me to try scuba again, maybe try that. (I failed in Hawaii when we went lol.) Besides that reading and yoga on the beach will probably be an every day ritual, and also I will be updating this blog quite frequently when internet is available. Mainly I will be enjoying life with the love of my life and not missing Iowa.

Stay tuned....
<3 Chels

1 comment:

  1. Oh Chels, you are so damn creative !
    You are definitely an amazing chic, glad to call you my friend... I always look forward to the stories you have to tell !
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete